To work as part of a team of Advanced Nurse Practitioners within the Brighton Station Walk-In-Health Centre. The Centre is open 7 days per week between 8am and 8pm and requires the position holder to work over a 12hr shift on a 7 day rotating rota.
Utilising expert diagnostic and clinical skills to provide autonomous, unscheduled medical care and management of patients presenting with acute undifferentiated and undiagnosed conditions, complex health needs and /or long term conditions, within the Walk In Care service.
• Utilise advanced clinical and diagnostic skills and expert knowledge to carry out thorough assessments of physical and psycho-social needs in order to develop a comprehensive short term care plan aiming to optimise health and wellbeing that will prevent a hospital attendance/ admission or allow early discharge home.
• Provide direct advanced, autonomous clinical care to a range of patients presenting with undifferentiated, undiagnosed and/ or complex health needs and long term conditions.
• Work within Clinical Guidelines, Policies, Procedures and utilising expert judgment to work outside these frameworks where necessary.
• Prescribe as an Independent Nurse Prescriber as required, within professional competence, ensuring that all duties in relation to medicines management meet required professional and Care UK standards.
• Deliver agreed clinical quality and performance standards within the service.
• Be goal and outcome orientated, whilst maintaining a high level of performance.
• Ensure involvement of the patient and their carers in decision making, to improve understanding of their healthcare needs, promoting self care as appropriate.
• Act as the patient’s advocate, facilitating the patient’s own choices with regard to care whilst promoting independence and self care.
• Maintain up to date knowledge of support services for patients and carers from statutory, voluntary and ancillary services.
• To undertake health promotion and disease prevention and to provide information and support to promote and optimize positive health and to constantly champion the principles of self- care and patient empowerment, referring on as appropriate.
• Be aware of, and act in accordance with, the NMC Code of Conduct, Standards and Guidelines.
• When working in clinical areas monitor and maintain required stock levels (drugs/ dressings/ clinical equipment). Ensure hygiene and cleanliness standards are adhered to as per Care UK Infection Control Policy.
• Ensure at end of clinical shift that all clinical equipment, drugs, keys to drug cupboards and prescription pads are stored securely.
• Ensure that all clinical rooms are left tidy and secured when not in use.
Skills & Experience
• Extensive post registration experience in Primary Care and Urgent Care
• Evidence of working autonomously assessing and treating patients presenting with undifferentiated, undiagnosed and/ or complex health needs
• Experience in management long term conditions
• Evidence of appropriate continuing professional development activity to maintain up-to-date knowledge and on-going competence in all aspects of the Nurse Practitioner role
• Evidence of working autonomously and as part of a team
• Proven ability to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of their own clinical practice
• Ability to assess and manage patient risk effectively and safely
• Well-developed word processing/data collection/IT skills
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Reflective practitioner
• Time management and ability to prioritise workload
• Able to analyse data and information, drawing out implications for the individual patient/impact on care plan
• Able to establish and maintain effective communication pathways within the organisation, the local CCG, and with key external stakeholders
• Excellent computer skills
• Understanding and knowledge of policy developments related to the delivery of primary care services including General Practice, the GMS/PMS contract, Clinical Governance, Quality & Outcomes Framework
• Understanding of systems to gain an understanding of the health needs of the Practice population as they relate to primary care
• Understanding of evidence based practice
• Knowledge of national standards that inform practice (eg National Service Frameworks, NICE guidelines etc)
• Understanding of their accountability arising from the NMC Code and medico-legal aspects of the Nurse Practitioner role
• Understanding of equal opportunity and diversity issues
• Registered General Nurse (Currently registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council)
• Recognised Nurse Ptactitioner qualification at minimum of degree level or equivalent
• Independent Nurse Prescriber
For more information on Brighton Station Health Centre, please visit the website:
Please note that offers of employment are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a DBS check.
At Care UK, we actively promote diversity and equal opportunities.
Applicants must have the right to work in the EU.