We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Ophthalmology Registered Nurse to join our multidisciplinary team at Peninsula NHS Treatment Centre.
With the recent addition of a third theatre and a two suite endoscopy unit it is an exciting time to join us.
Recently achieving an "outstanding" rating from the Care Quality Commission (CQC), the treatment centre is the first independent sector treatment centre to achieve this and are in the top three per cent of hospitals in the country to receive this rating.
Peninsula NHS Treatment Centrs offers high quality elective surgery for the local populations of Devon and Cornwall, specialising in hip and knee joint replacements, shoulder repair, hand and elbow surgery, foot surgery and minor orthopaedic procedures. We also deliver Ophthalmology, General and ENT surgery.
Not only are our facilities state-of-the-art, with us, you will be able to focus on what really matters; delivering a high standard of patient care. You will also be able to benefit from our fully supported training programmes, on site café and free parking.
As the senior Nurse you will lead in the efficient running of the ophthalmology service and co-ordinate the patient’s journey from pre-admission to discharge. You will provide leadership to the pre-assessment/admission/discharge of ophthalmology patients from the unit.
This will include organising and undertaking pre-operative assessment, including specialised biometry and ophthalmic measurements ensuring patients are fit for surgery. You will ensure that
all patients are fully informed of their proposed treatment plans and all questions are answered. You will also be responsible for taking appropriate action for those patients who do not meet the inclusion criteria, managing appropriate referral onto other Consultants, or back to General Practitioners, for further assessment and treatment where indicated.
Skills & Experience
To be successful in this role you will have:
• Knowledge and skills of ophthalmic surgical care provision
• Knowledge and skills in respect of ophthalmic disease e.g. glaucoma
• Up to date hands on clinical skills including phlebotomy, IV drug administration and performing ECGs
• Extensive relevant experience in acute care or elective surgical nursing with recent experience within the specialism of ophthalmology/ pre-assessments
• Experience in ophthalmic day care/ short stay and inpatient nursing
• NMC Registered Nurse Level 1 with a ophthalmology qualification
• Physical examination training and skills
• Basic / Intermediate life support skills
• ECG and venupuncture training
For more information about the centre, please visit http://www.peninsulatreatmentcentre.nhs.uk/
Please note that offers of employment are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a DBS check.
At Care UK, we actively promote diversity and equal opportunities.