A new opportunity has arisen for a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon to join a dedicated and professional Multi-disciplinary medical team at the St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre in Portsmouth. You will be a highly valued member of our team bringing your expertise and skills in a range of general ophthalmic out-patient and surgical procedures including Cataracts. As a Care UK Consultant you will have access to great facilities in a well-structured and relaxed environment.
The modern and comfortable centre provides high quality, specialist care to the people of Portsmouth and the surrounding areas in day surgery and outpatients as well as diagnostic services.
At the forefront of high quality delivering healthcare within the local communities our treatment centres have a truly impressive track record in patient experience and clinical success which sets us apart from other privately run facilities in the region. You’ll find we use the latest technology, our facilities are clean, bright and modern, and our care teams experienced and friendly.
At St Mary’s we are passionate about creating an exceptional experience for all NHS patients, and are dedicated to delivering the highest standards of quality and safety. We believe in treating patients as quickly and carefully as possible, helping them to feel better, faster.
Reporting to the Hospital Medical Director you will perform a range of ophthalmology procedures, on patients referred to the treatment centre, working in accordance with treatment centre protocols and working practices
Duties will include:
• Preoperative intra operative and postoperative activities as well as time allocated for clinical supporting work
• Participation in the outpatients prior to surgery, and in all aspects of the operative care of the patients
• Spend the equivalent of at least three days in the operating theatre and two days a week in a combination of outpatient assessment; administrative, management and clinical governance duties
• Work closely with clinical colleagues, both specialists and RMO’s, in order to enhance the level of patient care at the centre.
Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
• Wide training and experience in general ophthalmology
• Able to offer expert clinical opinion on range of problems within ophthalmology
• Able to take full and independent responsibility for delivering service without direct supervision
• Experience of high volume cataract surgery under topical anaesthesia
• Innovative approach to provision of ophthalmology services with ability to embrace change to improve the provision of care
• Knowledge of evidence based practice
• Excellent clinical skills
• Able to work within a multidisciplinary team
• Excellent communication skills – fluent spoken and written English
• UK registerable Medical Degree
• Past record of academic achievement
• Full and Specialist GMC Registration in relevant speciality
Together with a completive base salary we offer our Consultants a range of benefits including contributory pension scheme and 10 days CPD with generous financial contribution. Relocation allowances are also available for qualifying candidates.
We are one of the UK largest independent sector healthcare providers and work in close partnership with the NHS to deliver more than 50 services throughout the UK. We provide high quality specialist care and excellent results for more than 50,000 patients each year.
Our facilities are modern, employing the latest technology and friendly, professional staff. We have strong control processes to ensure we maintain high standards of hygiene and above all, we’re passionate about giving our patients the best possible care and helping them feel better, faster.
Please note that offers of employment are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a DBS check.
At Care UK, we actively promote diversity and equal opportunities.
For further information please see www.stmarysnhstreatmentcentre.nhs.uk