Our clean, modern and comfortable hospital specialises in orthopaedics, general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, oral surgery, ear nose and throat surgery, urology, gynaecology, gastroenterology and pain management.
At Southampton we are passionate about creating an exceptional experience for all NHS patients, and are dedicated to delivering the highest standards of quality and safety.
We are seeking a Consultant General Surgeon to join our Bank team
To provide a general surgical service necessary to meet the needs of patients under the care of the Southampton NHS Treatment Centre.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Management of Patients
• To carry out necessary duties to ensure the best and most cost effective treatment of patients.
• To provide a full range of surgical diagnosis, treatment and care to inpatients, day cases and outpatients who require general surgery. It is expected that the post-holder will hold further special interests in either upper- or lower general surgical practice and will also undertake some work in our Endoscopy Unit.
• To undertake pre and post operative assessment of patients – this includes but is not limited to, providing good quality written information to the patient’s GP in the event of return to the NHS as unsuitable for treatment within STC or outlining what further management is required before the patient can be treated within STC in the case of temporary suspension.
• To provide senior surgical support to the RMOs, and attend the unit in person for the assessment of acutely unwell patients at the RMOs request within normal working hours on weekdays. The postholder will be responsible for liasing with senior colleagues in the neighbouring NHS Trust to effect the seamless transfer of acutely ill patients who require transfer across to the NHS.
• To participate in the Centre's audit and clinical governance programme.
• To contribute to the development of Clinical Quality Standards.
• To undertake all necessary administrative duties associated with the care of his/her patients, including but not limited to clinical coding, discharge summaries, letters and reports.
• To be responsible to the Medical Director for the quality of care delivered and the effective and efficient use of the resources under his/her control.
• To contribute to the planning and development of surgical services.
• To contribute to the Centre meetings.
• To contribute to the teaching of Centre staff.
• Promote patient care by liaison with all departments.
• Participate in local and national specialty clinical meetings
• Participate in the in-service education programme and comply with mandatory training requirements, inclusive of CPR, Health & Safety Training and Fire Safety.
• To ensure ongoing medical competence by participating in the annual relicensing and recertification schemes of the GMC and the Royal College of Surgeons.
• To maintain and develop professional expertise through self-directed learning and continuous professional development.
• To maintain a portfolio of professional practice and performance data required for the appraisal process developed by Care UK.
• To participate in the annual appraisal system with the Medical Director, which will feedback from the Hospital Director and other colleagues/patients.
• To promote the centre by demonstrating a customer-focused approach at all times to patients, consultants and staff.
• Administratively and financially responsible to the Hospital Director.
• Professionally responsible to the Medical Director.
• Liaises closely with relevant clinical and administrative staff.
• Discusses relevant clinical (or non-clinical) situations occurring within the hospital with the Hospital Director/Medical Director.
Skills & Experience
• Qualified surgeon on the Specialist Register of the GMC.
• Experience in general surgery
• Experience in laparoscopic procedures (hernia repair and cholecystectomy)
• Ability to teach clinical and practical skills.
• Ability to communicate well with patients and staff, both orally and in writing.
Qualified surgeon on the Specialist Register of the GMC.
We are one of the UK largest independent sector healthcare providers and work in close partnership with the NHS to deliver more than 50 services throughout the UK. We provide high quality specialist care and excellent results for more than 50,000 patients each year.
For more information, visit www.careuk.com and
Please note that offers of employment are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a DBS check.
At Care UK, we actively promote diversity and equal opportunities.
Applicants must have the right to work in the EU.
Shortlisting for this role may take place as applications are received. We therefore reserve the right to close this vacancy once a suitable candidate has been appointed.